Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Annual haircut... for sheep

My wife and I headed out east to Descanso to a small farm in April (annual sheep shearing time), and as my wife bought some of the fleeces for herself and friends to wash and spin into yarn, I took some video of this interesting process that not many people out here know about. Wool yarn just shows up on the rack at Walmart, right? Well, not quite... there's a lot of work involved in wrestling down a 400 pound sheep, holding her steady and giving her a haircut. And then there's the washing and combing and dying and spinning of the wool, but those are future videos. For now, let's shear some sheep.

2 comments:

Julia said...

This is not easy work that is for sure. In collage I too an animal science course in which we had to flip a sheep. I managed ok since I am almost bigger than the sheep but there were many folks who could not handle it. All this work for a little wool sweater! But well worth it.

Drakonis said...

Ah, track and field and sheep-flipping, you have quite a renaissance-lady background. Thank ewe for hoofing it over here to browse our ruminations. We have a whole room full of wool now, so my wife thinks it is worth it, and I get lots of socks, so I think it is worth it too! ;-)